Monday, July 25, 2011

Nature-Inspired Writing Prompts

Colorized Butterflies by Ang Kim

"I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in." George Washington Carver

Today, I'm asking you to tune into nature.  Even if it is too hot to go outside, you can look out a window, find a picture, or remember something.

Free-Write for 10 minutes:  Write something about nature that you have not noticed before.  For example, I have zinnias blooming in my garden, and I was intrigued that  Ifound one pink zinnia with two petals that are white.  I've been going back to that image all weekend, and I think I would like to write about it. 

Poetry Prompt:  Look at your notes from your free-write and draft a poem from them.  Any length, any style, even if it is a bad poem.  (You can always turn it into a better poem later!)

Fiction Prompt:  Look at your notes from the free-write and use an image to relate to a character.  Write about a character that is connected to one of the images or discoveries you found in your free-write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only ask that all comments be polite and constructive.