Friday, December 9, 2011

Point of View Writing Prompt with Jessie Carty

Jessie Carty is our guest prompter again this week. I hope you enjoy her prompt and have a great weekend!
*********************************************************************
Point of View Writing Prompt by Jessie Carty

In May of 2008 I had this idea that I wanted to write a series of poems called the fat girl poems. I’ve bounced around with my weight, but I also knew I’d be taping into the general “fat girl” experience rather than just my own.

Here is an example http://siblingrivalrypress.com/2011/07/21/class-reunion-jessie-carty-friends-perform-a-poem-from-fat-girl/ of one poem that is, perhaps, not completely from my point of view. (The link will take you to the poem below a video. The video is myself and two other wonderful ladies take turns reading the poem in a video. )

So, my challenge for you today is to write a poem or story from a point of view that isn’t your own, but maybe is a topic that is close to you. See how it challenges you!

BIO: Jessie Carty is the author of five poetry collections including the upcoming chapbook An Amateur Marriage (Finishing Line Press, 2012) which was a finalist for the 2011 Robert Watson Prize. She teaches at RCCC in Concord, NC. You can find her editing Referential Magazine or blogging at http://jessiecarty.com.


Jessie's most recent chapbook “An Amateur Marriage” is now on pre-order from Finishing Line (http://www.finishinglinepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=247).  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I only ask that all comments be polite and constructive.